I can’t believe I missed the Top Ten Tuesday topic Favourite Book Quotes. I love to collect quotes! Because today is a freebie I can make it up. Here are some of my favourite book quotes:
1. “Wishes don’t just come true. They’re only the target you paint around what you want. You still have to hit the bull’s eye yourself.” – Muse of Nightmares
This is my current favourite quote from Laini Taylor, but I could make a whole list with only quotes from her books! Wishes play an important role in most of her stories. Just like in real life, the characters always have to work (and usually suffer) to obtain what they want.
2. “It’s like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
– The Name of the Wind”
There is so much truth in this quote. As people we (unconsciously) make up a stories about our past. In retrospect we decide that some things that happened to us were a mistake, a lesson or a success. I believe that what we tell ourselves really matters. If you think you cannot do something, you probably won’t succeed. But if you change your thoughts – the story you tell yourself – you can change your life.
3. “Our destiny isn’t some kind of mystical prophecy. Our destiny is what we do with that chance.”- A Million Worlds with You
This quote describes my thoughts about destiny beautifully. I don’t believe in an inevitable fate. However, I sometimes feel like things are meant to be in a certain way.
4. “Books are mirrors: you only see in them what you already have inside of you.”
– The Shadow of the Wind
So true! Your opinion about a book says more about you than about the book. And just like a real mirror, what you find in a book can change over time.
5. “But I love you, and before you say it words do matter. They’re not pointless. If they were pointless then they couldn’t start revolutions and they wouldn’t change history and they wouldn’t be the things that you think about every night before you go to sleep. If they were just words we wouldn’t listen to songs, we wouldn’t beg to be read to when we’re kids. If they were just words, then they’d have no meaning and stories wouldn’t have been around since before humans could write. We wouldn’t have learned to write. If they were just words then people wouldn’t fall in love because of them, feel bad because of them, ache because of them, stop aching because of them, have sex, quite a lot of the time, because of them.” – Words in Deep Blue
A beautiful quote that describes the importance of words.